Friday, March 21, 2014

Waffles of Substance

I've tried these a couple times now, and I have to say, the best way to make these is with a Belgian waffle iron. Honestly, why don't you have a Belgian waffle iron already? Kitchen appliances are one of the easiest things to get used - people are forever giving away the kitchen things they don't know what to do with. Hold out for a Belgian waffle iron; this recipe yields a tender and substantial waffle that stands up well to the heavy demands of the Belgian format.

I don't have a Belgian waffle iron. I have the old waffle iron my brother left me when he moved across country. It's all right, but I haven't yet found the perfect waffle recipe for it - the one that will thread the thin line between crispness and tenderness, that will be substantial without being heavy, and light without being burned. This is a good recipe, but in a standard waffle iron like the one I'm using, it can run to the soggy unless it is fresh, fresh, fresh! So get the family around to gobble these up as soon as they come off the iron. If you don't have a family, invite your friends over. Waffle day! Now, I believe that these should stand in for a meal, not for dessert, and these will do admirably.


- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 1/4 c plain yogurt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/3 c quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 c cornmeal (you can add other things here. In my case, I ground golden flaxseeds and did half-and-half with cornmeal)
- 1/3 c butter, melted, or vegetable oil.
- 1 c unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt (optional)



- Combine the egg yolks, yogurt, soda, and honey in a large bowl. Beat with a wire whisk.
- Stir in the oats and cornmeal, then add the butter and stir again.- Sift in the flour, baking powder, and optional salt. Beat well, then cover the bowl and let the mixture sit for 15 minutes.- Beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold them into the mixture. If the batter is too thick, add 1-2 Tbsp milk or water (I used water if I've used full-fat yogurt, otherwise milk)

Yield: 8 (10-inch) waffles

No comments:

Post a Comment