Saturday, July 5, 2014

Watermelon Mint Sorbet

Have you ever been sitting there eating watermelon and thought to yourself, "This watermelon is tasty and delicious and really refreshing but I wonder if there's any possible way I could make it more refreshing?"

No? That's just me then? Well, I figured it out. You add mint and turn it into sorbet. It's amazing. It's the perfect treat for a hot day. I bet you didn't realize you wanted to eat this until just now, but now you know! It refreezes to coming out as a similar consistency to watermelon, but it's super cold and has a refreshing hint of mint. You should make this for your next cookout. You should make this just to have in your freezer to eat when it's hot and gross out.



Watermelon Mint Sorbet

1 small seedless watermelon
1 c sugar
1 c water
2 mint teabags* (make sure they are just pure mint)
Dash of lime juice
1/4 c vodka **

Bring water and sugar to a boil and cook until the sugar has completely dissolved. Add mint tea bags. Let sit out until room temperature, then refrigerate until cold.

Cut watermelon and scoop innards into blender. Add a dash of lime juice. Blend until liquid, this is fast, but you might have to push the watermelon back down towards the blades. It took me two blenders-full to turn the watermelon into juice. Combine watermelon juice and simple syrup.

Pour in ice cream maker. When the ice cream maker has finished doing it's thing, move sorbet into Tupperware and stir in vodka. Freeze in freezer for a few hours.

*There is no reason whatsoever not to use fresh mint if you have it. I don't have an herb garden and the grocery store was out of fresh mint when I went looking for it so I used mint tea instead

**Booze helps keep your sorbet from turning into ice in the freezer. I spent a couple of days trying to decide if I was going to use rum, tequila, or vodka, and settled on vodka for two reasons. One, it adds little in the way of flavor. Two, I couldn't find tequila in my liquor cabinet, and the only rum I could find was coconut. So, I went with vodka. I encourage experimentation and ask you to let me know how yours turns out if you try something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment