Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Earthy Rice (Rice with Beet Tops and Chicken Giblets)


Ever been at a bit of a loss for what to do with beet tops? (You wouldn't buy a beet without its top, right? Good for you.) So the garden is producing some beets, and while I grated the beets themselves into a nice salad, I had the leafy tops, with their sturdy red stems and distinct earthy flavor, left over.



Coincidentally, I also had a bag of chicken giblets. (You wouldn't buy a chicken without the giblets, right? I've trained you well.) Now, ever since I learned about dirty rice that's been my go-to giblet dish, but I didn't have celery or green pepper. I cast my eye toward the beet tops...

(Can I interrupt myself for a minute to talk about how much I love chicken gizzards? I love chicken gizzards so much. They're so meaty and robust. What a pity a chicken only has one.)

I would not be bringing you this recipe if it were not a RESOUNDING success. The rice is hearty and rich and flavorful, and the beet stems and greens bring it this combination of earthiness, sweetness, and just a hint of bitterness. It's not dirty rice, though it's a bit like that. It's not a pilaf, though it's a bit like that too. This is its own thing, and I think this just might be my new go-to for beet tops.

Ingredients:

  • 1 bag assorted chicken giblets (usually neck, liver, gizzard, heart)
  • 1 med onion
  • 3 beet tops
  • 1 tbsp creole seasoning (it's quite easy to make your own and it's delicious on so many things; just go mix yourself a big jar of it.)
  • 2 cups rice (most kinds will work although they will give you a different result in terms of texture)
  • Generous splash of oil


Instructions

Dice the onion. In a pot large enough to hold your eventual volume of rice, saute the onion in a bit more oil than you usually need to saute an onion. Once the onion is turning golden, add the giblets. Yeah, bony neck and all. Stir 'em around. Let them continue to cook while you...

Chop the beet tops. Slice the stems like small stalks of celery, and shred the leaves. Once the giblets have browned on the outside, add the chopped beet tops, and stir thoroughly.










Add the rice. Exactly, without water. Stir it around until it's all coated with oil and the blended juices from the onion, meat, and vegetables. Add a bit more oil if you need to. You want to toast the rice just the tiniest bit. Add the seasoning.



Add enough water to cover the rice to the depth of one inch. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and let it cook until the rice is tender enough to eat.

Cost:
Giblets: Calling them about 1/5 of a chicken, around $2.00
Rice: $1
Beet tops: $1.50
Onion: $.10
Total: $4.60

Serves: 2-3.

No comments:

Post a Comment