Monday, July 28, 2014

New Standard Veggie Kebabs





It's summer, so odds are some or all of the following things are true:

  • You can get lots of tasty vegetables for cheap
  • It's too hot to cook inside
  • You're going to a cookout
  • You're throwing a cookout
  • You've got vegetarian friends coming
  • You are a vegetarian
  • You're just too cheap to buy meat (actually these last two are season-independent, but whatever)


So you'd better have a good vegetable grilling option. The good news is, this recipe (which, as the title implies, has become my new standard both for cookouts and for dealing with vegetables when I don't have the time or brainpower to do anything fancy) is really all you need. I mean, if you want to get crazy grilling vegetables, don't let me stop you! In fact, invite me over so I can watch you grill them, and then eat the result! But this is easy, reliable, and so delicious you won't have any leftovers if you have guests. Which is a pity, because the leftovers are tasty cold.

This is so simple. Do I really need to do a post on this? You probably got the idea from the title, right? Chop some vegetables up, put them on a skewer, and grill them. But I know for me at least, it always helps to have a walkthrough, even - especially - for the most basic things. So here we go.



Ingredients




  • Vegetables (onion I recommend having with everything since it caramelizes nicely and gives a savory flavor to its neighbors, summer squash of multiple varieties for extra color and flavor, mushroom another umami-intensive option, bell pepper also flavors its neighbors on the skewer, eggplant needs a long cooking time but absorbs flavor wonderfully, tomato not a vegetable but who cares, cauliflower tough to skewer but so worth it, potatoes or other root vegetables if they are small or par-cooked. Try others! If they work really well, tell me about it! If they fail spectacularly, tell me about that too!
  • Olive oil
  • Garlic
  • Salt
  • Spices (I like curry powder, thyme, and adobo. I bet you'd also have great results with dill, creole seasoning, maybe zaatar. Ooh, zaatar. I'm going to try that next time.)
You'll also need:
  • Wooden skewers (You can use metal ones if you've got them, of course).
  • A pastry brush


Instructions
Chop up your vegetables into large chunks; slightly larger than the size chunk you would like to eat off a skewer (since they're going to shrink as you cook them.

Start threading the vegetables onto the skewers. Try not to stab yourself. If you want very even cooking, you can separate the skewers by vegetable type, but personally I like to mix it up. Part of the joy of eating vegetables is that they mostly taste great in various stages of doneness, so adding that to the medley of flavors and textures you'll be creating just makes it more delightful. I like to include at least one chunk of onion on each skewer - it goes well with everything - but you should have more than enough vegetables to experiment.

Get a bowl and pour in about 1/4 cup olive oil - or however much you think it will take to brush your skewers with. Squeeze in a couple of garlic cloves and a pinch of salt, and stir around with your pastry brush.

Heat up your grill medium-hot. Pop your skewers onto the grill, and brush them with the garlic-oil mixture. Turn them over and brush them again. If the vegetables have started cooking while you were inside getting the oil, or the oven mitts, or something to put the cooked skewers on, that's OK. This is a very forgiving recipe; as long as you get the oil on sometime in the early cooking stage, it will be delicious.

What this recipe doesn't really forgive is ingredient quality. This is not really the place to use up the vegetables that are going to go bad if you don't use them tonight. I used an overgrown zucchini in this one (part of an experiment you'll read about in a few weeks time, if all goes well) and it came out too sweet-tasting and starchy.

Anyway, once you've brushed everything with oil, dust everything with your choice of spices. Here I've done curry on half and thyme on half.

Let grill for about half an hour or until vegetables are tender. You can eyeball this one. Watch out for the tomatoes sticking to the grill. Pull 'em off the grill and serve to your guests as is, or if you're spending a sad lonely evening like me, slide them off the skewers and save whatever you don't eat for later in the week!

Cost:
However much your vegetables cost. Let's see, here it's:
Eggplant:  $0.89
Zucchini: $0.50
Mushrooms: $1.00
Onion: $.10
Tomatoes: free! (garden for the win!)
Pepper: $.99
Total: $3.68
Serves: 3-6 depending on what else you're having.


4 comments:

  1. Have you ever done cauliflower "steaks" ? I find I get 2-3 good "steaks" from a head of cauliflower (and save the rest for a tandori dish or something.) I slice the middle of the cauliflower about 1/2 - 1 inch thick, and then treat it just like I would with my bestest steak recipes. Red wine, olive oil, (since it's cauliflower it also gets some balsamic vinegar) garlic onions, whathave you. (Also yes, we cook at least an onion a day) coat it with pepper, I let it sit for ages, since cauliflower is so rigid it has a hard time absorbing the delctablegoodness. Grill until it's delectably caramelized. YUM.

    And then the next night is the rest of the head of cauliflower as florets and grilled however tickles my fancy. Cauliflower is truly a superfood, almost no calories, nothing bad for you and chock full of nutrients! (Assuming we don't sear those nutrients out with fire.)

    Seriously though I did grilled tandori style with it last week and served it with a grilled kale that was tossed with tomato puree and some lighter non spicy seasonings. The two dishes went together PERFECTLY and each had a fun amount of crunch. Not a vegan dish since there was yogurt and I did put a little yeast in the kale, but it was extremely satisfying to the brain and tongue and belly.

    Oh here's a wacky thing we did the other night - made essentially a hummus paste and coated kale in it before grilling. (chick peas, half an onion, lots of garlic, some lemon juice) It was very meaty tasting to the brain. (Also a little dry but I didn't actually come up with this recipe so I'm not sure what he should do to fix it. - I was just going to coat the chickpeas in hotsauce and grill them that's how uncreative I was feeling)

    I swear I'm not hungry. I had a great breakfast that had fresh chard and everything.

    Next year I'm going to plant more than one chard plant, (Never grew it before) I didn't realize I was ripe for conversion but it's converted me for sure. But I am looking for fun things to do with collards on the grill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow (or holy cauliflower as the case may be) those cauliflower steaks sounds amazing. I'm going to try that with the next cauliflower I get, and if I get good at it, next fancypants dinner I have will involve grilled cauliflower steaks. Maybe even multicolored ones.

      I have also really gotten into cauliflower over the last year; it was roasting it all winter that did it. Roasted in foil with olive oil and curry powder, oh my goodness.

      I'm curious about the grilled kale dish - how hot do you have the grill? Do the leaves wilt, or get crispy, and how do you keep them from burning? (I've tried it a couple of times, but not great results yet.)

      Swiss chard and sausage is my standby for chard. I have it in the garden; I planted it with a mix of other greens and ate it as salad in the spring, and left them standing when I pulled out the bolted lettuce in the summer. Now, making sausage, that's something I have yet to try.

      I also have a ton of collards, so I will try some grill recipes with them. They're very robust, maybe I can roll them up and skewer them, with something like the hummus coating you describe? Anyway, stay tuned!

      Delete
    2. oh oh, if you want to splurge on some mozzerella (or if you have some old milk you want to make some cheese out of - it's pretty quick, you just want something that'll not fall back into milk form right away and stay melty) an indulgent grill recipe is to take a collard leaf, put soft cheese in it and a slice of tomato, (I'd also do a bit of salt and a basil leaf and garlic, but everything needs garlic), wrap it up with the leaf and grill! You can eat it as is, make a sandwich out of it or make it a fun surprise as a burger topping!

      Now as far as the kale - considering we can easily eat a head of kale a night, we have some experience - our grill is a giant charcoal grill and we essentially turn it into an oven for the kale, keeping it away from the flame, average temperature is probably 325, we're playing cards and just checking on food as it cooks, the kale rarely chars too much when it's on the higher rack, now, when you get it as wet as both of these recipes call for it takes ages to cook and only the edges get crispy, but if you like hot melty kale with the odd bite of crunch it works great, you don't even have to think about it.

      Jake too discovered the power of cauliflower this winter - for him it was soups. It makes a creamier texture than your average potato, and cooks faster too. half a head of cauliflower, some leeks and half a sweet potato = success.

      Back to kale - it's all about the balance of coating & temperature. Just a little olive oil? They're going to wither up and die really quickly, I'd probably want the grill at 200 or something. Do it early before the heat really builds and serve it as an appetizer. Really it's about applying oven logic. What temperature would you cook it in the oven? I cook wilted kale for 6 minutes at 425 to crisp it up, but the kale chips I made that time were at 250 and took half an hour. And then in the dehydrator it's all night long. (or two hours if you're paying attention).

      OH - have I ever told you about chili chips?

      Also - and this seems like it's totally in line with this blog - have you used your ambient heat after you're done grilling to either a) wrap something in foil to cook overnight or b) dehydrate something overnight?
      Imagine if you will some slow cooked charred slices of beets and oinions waiting for you the next day from your ashes.

      Delete
    3. I mean to say chard leaf - it's a chard leaf wrap - but I suppose it could work with collards, I think collards are just too chew though

      Delete