Saturday, April 19, 2014

Onion Pie




 I hesitated on this post at first, because first, I'm not great with pies, and second, the volume of butter of required for their crust usually puts them out of consideration for an economical dish. But then there was a ten-pounds-of-onion-for three bucks special at one of the area produce markets, and I obtained a pie crust through mysterious means, (COUGH FREEZER COUGH) so I figured I might as well give this pie a shot.




Fruit pies are, obviously, best made in the summer (or possibly fall) when there is more that fruit than you know what to do with. An onion pie, on the other hand, is entirely suitable to winter or early spring, when nothing is growing so nothing is cheap and there's nothing to do but twiddle your thumbs, have Lent, and wait for things to sprout.

Ingredients
6lbs of onions (yes, really.)
A pie crust (and you're not getting a recipe out of me, go ask someone who's better at it)
3tbsp oil (I used bacon grease, thus disqualifying this from being as vegetarian as it would otherwise be)
A sprinkle of a savory herb (I used thyme)

Get your largest and heaviest pan and start heating the oil in it. Meanwhile, start chopping the onions (medium dice) and throwing them into the oil. Do you need to look as if you have suffered a devastating tragedy, without the trouble and bother of suffering a devastating tragedy. Make this pie.


You're going to be caramelizing all six pounds of onions. Dang.


This means keeping the heat on medium (you'll want to err on the side of lower rather higher). As you add them, stir them well to get them coated with the oil. Then keep stirring them - not frantically, but regularly. This will take at least 30 minutes, but you will have the satisfaction of watching your stew pot full of more onions than you think anyone could possibly eat turn to a rich soft caramel just right for your pie crust. 



Once the whole mixture is as brown as you like, and you can no longer distinguish individual onion pieces, pour it in. You can sprinkle something savory on top to contrast with the rich sweetness of the onions. I tried thyme; you could try parmesan cheese maybe.

Oh, right. The pie crust. Do what you do with pie crusts. Here I got all fancy with it, because why not. It still stuck to the pan. Take my advice on onions. Don't take my advice on pie crusts.



(Except this one prize-winning crust I made this one time with ground walnuts, which come to think of it would go really well with this pie.)

Cost:
Onions: $1.50
Crust: (depends, say $1.50 too?)

Serves: 6-8, but works best accompanied with something. A nice sharp green salad, for instance. 



1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome. We've grown our own onions for ages and after the first year when I was all - wha'? onions? I've been all for it. They're amazingly tasty compared to store bought. Like tomatos. But harder to give away. Onion pie should help use them up.

    So...what's your walnut crust recipe? I'm fairly awful at all crusts.

    (I came from Ravelry in search of grasshopper pie)

    ReplyDelete